Dating royal doulton stamps

14 Jul

From about 1860, Doulton began to revive earlier types of stoneware, such as copies of 18th-century vessels.The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866.He trained the sculptor George Tinworth who joined Doulton as the first resident sculptor in 1867.He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery John's son Henry (1820 - 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.

The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 - 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery.This confusion is also widespread amongst other Booths patterns with the Silicon China "Crown" mark, such as Parrot, Netherlands, Pagoda, etc, which were all produced much later than the supposed 1912 cut-off point, as is evident from impressed dates.Research undertaken by Conrad Biernacki published in the April 1984 issue of Willow Transfer Quarterly backs up the above chronology. Gold on the rim but the central portion of the inner band is brown, flanked by two gold bands.Furthermore there exist two distinct patterns, the more widespread A8025 and the earlier (and harder to find) 9072 pattern, which can be recognised easily by the more old-fashioned lettering in the mark (see examples below).